Your cheat-sheet for the best place to buy dog food online!
Includes tactics to get free-shipping, why you should subscribe to a dog food delivery service, dog food price alerts, & a whole heckuva lot more savings!
CC Image “100_0465” via ttarasiuk – thx!
Bonus: Don’t have time to check out all the money-saving tips? No worries. Download a free PDF version of this guide right here (includes extra tips not found in this blog post!).
Why Buy Dog Food Online?
If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the past few years, it is that making a purchase is usually a whole lot easier if I purchase online.
This is the way I do all of my Christmas shopping now – my wallet and schedule couldn’t be happier! 🙂
I don’t have to fight the traffic, walk through an entire store for an item that might be out of stock, have an awkward run-in with an ex :$, or wait in lines at the cash register.
I mean, come on, even the lines at the self-checkout lanes are excruciating sometimes.
I’m obviously not the first to figure this out either.
You can take advantage of endless “event” sales if you register with certain online companies. The savings you will receive through these offers can be as much as 75% off the normal everyday price! Companies obviously wouldn’t have these if people weren’t taking advantage of them.
Online Savings Add Up!
You are also quite likely to find that purchasing online will also yield the best possible price results as well. I know this is particularly true if you shop on Amazon, as I do.
Believe me when I say I have searched everywhere and not found a place that offers lower prices than what I have found on Amazon!
Many online stores will send out newsletters that announce the “latest and greatest sale”. When I receive one of those, I always head over to Amazon and search for those specific items. More often than not, Amazon has the cheaper deal.
With people like you and I who shop online, there are now more options than ever for saving. Many programs offer excellent coupon opportunities, some of which we will go over in detail in just a bit. Don’t be surprised at the savings you’ll encounter.
Just grab it, save and enjoy!
Shopping for Necessities
Dog food is one of those items you use on a regular basis.
Shopping for it is not only a necessity, but if you find you’ve forgotten it, you often have to go right back out. You can’t do without it, so what other choice do you have?
Well, there are a few, actually!
While shopping on Amazon saves you a lot of footwork and a whole lot of gas money, there are others savings to be had as well.
Some of these I was only recently introduced to, and I’m so glad about that now. The next natural step is to pass this info along to YOU!
It means that we can save the most amount of money with the least amount of hassle. That means a lot, especially on a purchase you have to repeat, again and again.
In a Nutshell
Are you a spare-me-the-details, give-me-the-bullet-points already kinda guy/gal?
You are in luck, my friend, because it’s backwards day, and we’re putting the conclusion at the beginning.
Follow these steps and I’ll bet a litter of the cutest puppies you’ve ever seen that you’ll save around 15% every. freaking. month!
- Sign up for a FREE Amazon Prime 30 Day Trial (cancel anytime). This gives you FREE shipping on 50+ million items. Remember, shipping adds up fast.
- Go here and check if your dog food is eligible for Amazon subscribe & save (search or scroll through).
- Yes? Awesome!
- Don’t blow up your dog’s routine if you both love his food. You can still save on his dog food at Amazon.
- If you’ve been considering switching, this would be a great time (check our menu to help find the best dog food for your dog).
- Here are 5 easy-peasy steps to order a Subscribe & Save subscription.
- Make a list of 4 (or more) low-cost, high usage items that you buy at the grocery store every month. Chances are, they’re even cheaper at Amazon and you can use them for your Subscribe & Save.
- Use these tools to get even cheaper prices at Amazon:
- Amazon pet coupons
- Camel Camel Camel (Amazon price tracker)
- Honey (browser extension that searches for deals before you check out)
- Sign up for the DogFood.co newsletter. Like this article, we provide constant value to “our dogs”! We just gave away $150 in dog supplies. Sign up today and you can still get a $10 coupon! [Limited Quantity]
Pro-Tip: Download a free PDF cheat-sheet of this guide right here & follow the steps at your leisure.
Amazon Subscribe and Save
Learning to use Amazon Subscribe and Save is a valuable tool, especially for those frugal dog owners who simply can’t pass up a bargain.
Once you sign up for 1 item, you will automatically save 5% off Amazon’s regular price, in addition to free shipping.
To sweeten the pot even more, if you have five (or more) monthly subscriptions through the Subscribe and Save service, they will give you an extra ten (10%) percent off!
So now, you’re saving 15%!
Plus that *free shipping (read about Amazon Prime below).
Worried that you don’t have a total of five or more items and won’t qualify for the extra ten percent?
I HATE buying stuff just to buy stuff. Kind of defeats the purpose, right?
You will be pleasantly surprised to find many items (that we use every month anyway) that are so cheap, they’re easy to add on as filler items. Some of these items are even under two dollars, with many more under three and five dollars as well.
Here are a few items you could choose from to meet your “five items or more” quote to receive the 15% discount:
- Fruitables Crunchy Dog Treats, 4.49 shipped
- Arrid Extra Dry Deodorant, 1.83 shipped
- Bic Disposable Razors, 2.66 shipped
- Snuggle Dryer Sheets, 2.96 shipped
- Zuke’s Doggie Dental Chews, 2.27 shipped
- Vitakraft Dog Drops, 2.40 shipped
- DogSure Senior Dog Supplement, 2.59 shipped
- Wahl Professional Animal Blade Oil, 2.47 shipped
- Tomlyn Hotspot Spray for Dogs, 3.03 shipped
- Nutri-Vet Eye Rinse for Dogs, 3.32 shipped
Remember that prices are apt to change without notice. They could drop or rise, depending on Amazon’s variable factors for pricing, so make sure to check the price before ordering.
If you do a bit more investigative searching on your price options, there’s even more good news. After you count all your savings, your end price is likely to be even cheaper than warehouse club prices. Many people swear by their club cards, but what if you could beat that price?
If that sounds good, keep reading!
In Order To Get Free Shipping…
While Subscribe and Save is a great feature to use, we would also like to note that in order to get free shipping, you will need to Amazon Prime.
Additionally, Amazon Prime subscribers get access to movies and television programs, much like you get with Netflix and Hulu, as well as music, Kindle books and unlimited storage of your photos in the cloud.
Prime Reading give you access not only to Kindle books, but to magazines, audibles and more.
Twitch Prime, which is also included, gives you free game content each and every month, along with discounts, membership exclusive preorders and ad-free viewing on the Twitch channel.
Last but not least, you will also get 30-Minute early access viewing to Amazon Lightning Deals. You’ll be among the first to decide if what’s hot should be yours or not!
How Amazon Subscribe and Save Works
For the best prices on dog food, dog treats, and other dog supplies, check out the Amazon Pet Subscribe and Save to view thousands of eligible items.
Whether you’re looking for food, toys, or other supplies, you need look no further:
Creating your subscriptions is really quite easy. Here’s a step by step breakdown of what you’ll need to do:
- Go to the Pet Subscribe and Save page linked above. Here, you can choose to shop for dog food, treats, puppy pads, waste baggies, kibble treat dispensers, chew toys and tons of other items.
- Next, choose your product, frequency of delivery and hit the subscribe button. This one click will keep your dog food coming, on a regularly scheduled drop, straight from Amazon to you.
- Even with the best of intentions, things sometimes happen that throw us off schedule. If something comes up and you need to skip a delivery, change your delivery day, or cancel the service all together, that’s no problem. All you need to do is log into your account, go to “Your Subscribe and Save Items” and make the necessary changes.
- Each delivery will be preceded by an email to let you know that your pet product is on its way. You will find out important information in this email, so be sure to read it carefully. Your price will be listed, as will the expected date of delivery and any other pertinent information to your order.
Please note that sometimes, prices can increase or decrease over time and can affect your subscription price after you have signed up. These prices, however, will never surprise you, as your email will be very clear about the exact price of your upcoming delivery.
How To Save Even MORE With Amazon
If saving up to 15% more on top of Amazon’s already low prices wasn’t enough, we have more!
Who doesn’t love clipping coupons?
Well, okay, maybe not everyone. But you have to admit, for savings of several dollars or more, or even up to an additional 25% off, we can all take a few extra moments for this.
Once you arrive at the pet coupon page, you will find a drop down menu. This menu allows you to select exactly what type of coupon you’re looking for. Choices are oldest, newest, expiring soon, most popular, and percentage off.
From there, you can shop to your heart’s content.
You may even come across a few items that are new to you. Surprises are always good, but remember to shop carefully.
It’s as simple as that! If you are logged into your account, clicking on the “clip coupon” button will automatically apply that discount to your purchase, adding it on to your total savings.
A few restrictions do apply however, and you can read about those here.
Camel Camel Camel
Camel Camel Camel is an Amazon price tracker that can help to make sure you get the lowest price on your pet food.
You can create alerts through email or their Twitter account to message you with any drops in pricing.
Price history of over 18 million Amazon items can also be tracked with another handy feature.
There’s even a browser add-on for popular web browsers such as Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.
Signing up with Camel Camel Camel is free and easy.
If you have any of the most popular social media accounts, you can even signup with those. Just one click and you’re ready to go!
Let’s Sweeten The Deal…
Recently, it has been revamped a bit to save you tons of money on Amazon.
Normally, you would go to Amazon for the lowest price anyway, but Honey can help you out by taking it a step further.
- Let’s say you’ve found the cheapest price on Taste of the Wild Puppy formula.
- You’re ecstatic with the purchase, but you decide to check Honey, just for kicks and giggles, to see if there’s an even cheaper price.
- Sure enough, a different seller right there on Amazon has the same dog food, but at an even cheaper price. Yay!
Here’s an example of what that might look like, using a camcorder deal that someone recently found:
Of course, not all savings are quite this drastic, but if there’s a chance, why not give it a shot?
You’re not losing anything. The service is free and you still get to shop through Amazon.
You will enjoy the same shipping offers, customer service and buyer protection that you are already familiar with. Only now, there is the added option of saving even MORE money!
Last, But Not Least!
In addition to all these great money-saving ideas, be sure to treat yourself to the DogFood.co newsletter (for even more dog food money-saving ideas). 🙂
We’ll send you all the latest and greatest dog-related news, pet coupons & giveaways, articles and tidbits, sprinkled with a generous helping of fun.
Note that we take your privacy very seriously! We will protect your personal information as if it were our own!
Please be sure to let us know if there’s another way to save money that we might have missed:
- Is there a browser extension that is your go-to for frugal savings?
- Do you use a particular coupon site that applies to Amazon and saves you tons of money?
Drop us a line and let us know, we’d love to hear from you!