Before we get to the actual raw nuts that are good and bad for your dog, let’s talk about the added extras that are most certainly not good for your dog.
The first question you should ask yourself when considering if your dog can eat some of those nuts from your pantry is,
“Are these seasoned or salted?”
Lots of nuts come pre-salted or seasoned, and that salt or seasoning can potentially be dangerous for dogs. Dogs can’t handle salt very well, and you never really know what spices seasoned nuts contain.
All nuts covered in chocolate are an absolute and resounding no-no.
And I’m not sure if I have to mention this, but I will anyway:
Never feed a dog the shell a particular nut comes in.
All nutty shells have the capacity to slice up your precious angel’s intestines, so they are to be avoided at all costs.
With all that in mind, let’s talk actual nuts.
For the most part, nuts contain very high levels of fat. Dogs don’t have a very high tolerance for added fats to their diet, and nuts supply a pretty powerful punch of the stuff.
It’s not recommended that you feed your dog nuts, but the fact remains that it is possible for some of them to be safe.
I suggest you never feed them raw nuts, but if they happen to get into a can of cashews, my recommendation will be as useful as a sweater in July.
Some nuts that dogs are able to eat are almonds, peanuts, cashews, and pistachios.
Again, I’m not saying, “Hey Greg, little Jackson can eat some cashews if he’s a tad hungry,” because I don’t think it’s cool for a dog to eat nuts.
If your dog gets into macadamia nuts however, you’ll suddenly have an emergency on your hands.
As with grapes and raisins, the exact toxic compound within these vicious little nuts is not known.
If you suspect your dog has gotten into some macadamia nuts, your immediate action should be to get to the vet.
As for those yummy side products of nuts, the butters, that’s a little different story.
Most peanut and almond butters are safe for your dog to eat, but you must read the ingredient label first.
Some butters contain a substitute for sugar known as xylitol. While not toxic to humans, it can be fatal to dogs. Xylitol can cause insulin levels to spike and can eventually lead to hypoglycemia (extremely low blood sugar) in some dogs.
Also, dogs have gone into liver failure after ingesting it. Even more alarming, the ingestion of xylitol can lead to internal hemorrhaging as it restricts the blood’s ability to clot.
Check this out for more information on xylitol and its scary effects.
Here’s a more in-depth look at specific nuts your dog can and cannot eat: